Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persistent World
Development Forum.

Welcome back, !

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guns in Persistent World

+6
The Hallowed Fate
Vaius
Grayecastle
Jellyfish
Bunnay
Hex
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Do you agree?

Guns in Persistent World - Page 2 Vote_lcap80%Guns in Persistent World - Page 2 Vote_rcap 80% [ 4 ]
Guns in Persistent World - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Guns in Persistent World - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

1Default Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:47 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

First topic message reminder :

Now, in this persistent world I don't think we are going to get anywhere bieng all trigger happy with a kalashnikov.
Guns are extremly powerful when pitted up against a sword. You see a gun can simply shoot the sword wielder from a way off.
but that doesn't deter me entirely from guns, people love playing with guns. I personally love sawn-off shotguns because they have to be wielded at close range but are still extremly powerful.

Now, if we were to include guns I don't think we should allow any sort of automatic guns because they would seriosuly diminish the use of melee weapons.

In my opinion the only guns we should be allowed to use are.
Elephant gun/Sniper rifle
Musket
Musketoon
Blunderbuss
Arquebus
Revolver
Shotgun
Flintlock

The good thing about all of these weapons is that they were around historically and aren't too futuristic.
Now gattling guns are automatic but they should be allowed because no-one can actually carry on around.

https://pwdev.rpg-board.net

26Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Rook

I completely agree with all of that. The combat system, simply, shouldn't be a system. People should just abide by the same rules of the RPG Arena though I am still a bit skeptical about the money system.

27Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

We need a money system. It doesn't make sense in game not to have one. You walk into a bar and...? What, the barkeep gives you a drink for free? He donates it to your cause? I mean, really the only alternative is bartering, and that's not the best way to do things.

28Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Rook

I would think more so that we have the money but we just don't really need to track it or say how we got it. If we want we can say that we did such and such for so and so but does anyone really find typing out their occupancy as a janitor fun?

That is a dramatization but you get my point. I'm not saying money is to be removed from the world just that it doesn't have to be THE driving force behind the world. After all this is fiction but hey, make a poll for it. After all that is the official way to decide these things around here.

29Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:42 pm

pocru

Gun and sword balancing is something that's really hard to accomplish, I've noticed.

As my understanding goes (I joined after the last persistent world closed) all these worlds are connected and characters from one world can get to another. Well, any study of geography, sociology and history will tell you that cultural diffusion will quickly eliminate many distinctions these worlds have: real life models for teh win, just look at Europe.

So when it comes to guns, there are obviously going to be guns in every realm: logically, presented the option, any sane fighter would pick a gun over a sword. So the solution?

Not only are the materials for making the gun strictly limited to worlds where they naturally come from, but ammunition can only be found in those worlds.

This way, yes, a gunslinger can walk into a castle and shoot people up: but his ammo supply is much smaller than it normally would be in his homeland, where he could replace his used bullets fairly easily. In that sense, it becomes more practical to use a sword as your primary and a gun as a secondary backup weapon for emergencies, seeing as its only practical to carry so much ammunition with you.

To help enforce this, there could be some cultural taboo in the worlds without guns that finds small lead objects offensive or something. Led can be poisonous, it wouldn't be hard to make a few myths.

So, just my humble suggestion.

thanks!

30Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Rook

I can get what you are saying here but it is always difficult to moderate guns in a RP for several reasons, one of which would be education on the subject of guns. While one person may understand fully how a certain weapon operates another may not. If an uneducated person is a mod then this can present a very large problem if said mod comes to straighten an issue out involving guns. Also, lets say a player is a very large race and he uses a gun, he can then also carry more ammo becuase of his size.

31Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:24 pm

pocru

Rook wrote:I can get what you are saying here but it is always difficult to moderate guns in a RP for several reasons, one of which would be education on the subject of guns. While one person may understand fully how a certain weapon operates another may not. If an uneducated person is a mod then this can present a very large problem if said mod comes to straighten an issue out involving guns. Also, lets say a player is a very large race and he uses a gun, he can then also carry more ammo becuase of his size.

Well, a large character will always have an advantage when it comes to weapons: they can also have bigger axes, bigger shields, ect, ect.

Secondly, if it were to become some sort of rule, well, all the rules need to be taught, so really the problem you suggest is the same problem all the rules will have.

But you make good points... if you were addressing me. Sorry if you weren't.

thanks!

32Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Rook

I was, I just didn't quote you.

33Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:09 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

In PW people will be probably be deflecting bullets with there sword, I myself will be dodging them in a matrix style fashion Smile

https://pwdev.rpg-board.net

34Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Rook

If the have a giant sword then they can do that but anything of a reasonible size won't pase for very good protection. I too am think of enhanced reflexes or just really strong armor.

35Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Rook

This is past the five day mark and should be added into the Final Lore section. Guns will be in the PW, we can revise specifically what kind of guns and how they work later.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum