Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Persistent World
Development Forum.

Welcome back, !

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guns in Persistent World

+6
The Hallowed Fate
Vaius
Grayecastle
Jellyfish
Bunnay
Hex
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do you agree?

Guns in Persistent World Vote_lcap80%Guns in Persistent World Vote_rcap 80% [ 4 ]
Guns in Persistent World Vote_lcap20%Guns in Persistent World Vote_rcap 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Default Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:47 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

Now, in this persistent world I don't think we are going to get anywhere bieng all trigger happy with a kalashnikov.
Guns are extremly powerful when pitted up against a sword. You see a gun can simply shoot the sword wielder from a way off.
but that doesn't deter me entirely from guns, people love playing with guns. I personally love sawn-off shotguns because they have to be wielded at close range but are still extremly powerful.

Now, if we were to include guns I don't think we should allow any sort of automatic guns because they would seriosuly diminish the use of melee weapons.

In my opinion the only guns we should be allowed to use are.
Elephant gun/Sniper rifle
Musket
Musketoon
Blunderbuss
Arquebus
Revolver
Shotgun
Flintlock

The good thing about all of these weapons is that they were around historically and aren't too futuristic.
Now gattling guns are automatic but they should be allowed because no-one can actually carry on around.

https://pwdev.rpg-board.net

2Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:50 am

Bunnay

Bunnay
Mod
Mod

I think weapons should be allowed according to where you are.

If you're slaying a dragon you're using a sword.

If you're slaying a blood-thirsty alien in space, you're using a gun-- hopefully a big one!

It all depends on what kind of setting you are in.

http://roleplayerguild.com/members/bunnay

3Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

So what happens? the guns just disapears?

It should be a choice to have a gun, wherever you are.

4Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Allowing a set list of guns is too specific. I would leave that up to the character but as far as where they are allowed, yeah that should be controlled. Maybe if space dude with gun some how gets into another realm where a gun would not make sense..maybe the dramatic incident that got him there makes his gun disappear, blow up, disintegrate, rendered useless etc.

5Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

Its not really a set list of guns but a set list of types of guns.
and if you want you should be allowed to pop a cap in that dragons ass.
Basically if we are going to have guns it should be possible to have a gun vs sword fight and for the sword to win.

6Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Jellyfish

Jellyfish

lol true.

They can exist in any realm but once it breaks, runs out of whatever, its is rendered almost useless any way if you don't have the stuff needed to reload or repair. Smile

7Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Grayecastle

Grayecastle

Hex wrote:Now, in this persistent world I don't think we are going to get anywhere bieng all trigger happy with a kalashnikov.
Guns are extremly powerful when pitted up against a sword. You see a gun can simply shoot the sword wielder from a way off.
but that doesn't deter me entirely from guns, people love playing with guns. I personally love sawn-off shotguns because they have to be wielded at close range but are still extremly powerful.

Now, if we were to include guns I don't think we should allow any sort of automatic guns because they would seriosuly diminish the use of melee weapons.

In my opinion the only guns we should be allowed to use are.
Elephant gun/Sniper rifle
Musket
Musketoon
Blunderbuss
Arquebus
Revolver
Shotgun
Flintlock

The good thing about all of these weapons is that they were around historically and aren't too futuristic.
Now gattling guns are automatic but they should be allowed because no-one can actually carry on around.
I completely agree on your list of guns they are perfect THUMBS UP

8Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Vaius

Vaius

You could say the same thing about a crossbow...

Anyways, I would think that if you build a shield correctly it could deflect/absorb bullets.

9Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:14 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

You can't kill someone with a crossbow 8 miles away. Crossbows are harder to load, and it takes more time. So are the old style guns. Generally, you were really good if you could get 2-3 rounds off in a minute. That's also the practical side of the bayonet; by the time you reloaded for the third time your enemy was upon you.

But there were some prety fancy guns back then, quite cool to use. On Pawn Stars I've seen a double barrel flintlock rifle with a springloaded bayonet, very high coolness factor. With the magic in this world, and likely steamtech, we can make even cooler improvements on these types of weapons.

10Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Vaius

Vaius

You can't kill someone with a crossbow 8 miles away.

No, but you can still kill them before they reach you.

11Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:33 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

Vaius wrote:
You can't kill someone with a crossbow 8 miles away.

No, but you can still kill them before they reach you.
Maybe. If they are running around in silk undies. Which raises the question of why you are firing at them in the first place. There is a difference. You fire once. This shot has to hit one of the weak spots of the armor, and since a crossbow is pretty inaccurate, you really don't have much of a chance of that. Then you can spend a few minutes trying to reload while the warrior dismembers you. Really anyone with decent armor (even a wooden shield would do.), or atleast some hiding capability. As in, you get down when he shoots, and since he takes forever to reload, you can start charging him.

12Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Vaius

Vaius

"since a crossbow is pretty inaccurate"

As far as I know crossbows were generally more accurate than early guns.

"Then you can spend a few minutes trying to reload"

You've never heard of the repeating crossbow? One was dated back to the 4th century B.C., and then there was one crossbow capable of firing 10 bolts in 15 seconds using a simple lever to pull back the drawstring.

"If they are running around in silk undies."

I know the crossbow can at least pierce leather... and I've heard they were good at piercing armor, too.

13Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

Its called the Chukie noo I think.

Anyway, I think it would be great to have a good old western shoot out.

14Default Right then . . Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 pm

ArchaeaDrachtaer

An ogre or dragon could carry a gatling gun . . . . >_> or mayhap a cannon on it's underbelly . . . that'd be sweet. >_>

15Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:49 am

Hex

Hex
Admin

MORE DAKKA!!!!!!
That'd be really awesome actually, getting an army of trolls with cannons on.

16Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Rook

Again, basic rp combat rules should apply, the gun should be reasonible for the person to carry and operate along with the ammunition it uses and an indivigula should eventually have to reload or get tired from the recoil of the gun. Also, if you are a sword wielder then you probably arn't going to challenge someone with a gun unless you are capable of dealing with that kind of an opponent.

17Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:00 am

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

Vaius wrote:"since a crossbow is pretty inaccurate"

As far as I know crossbows were generally more accurate than early guns.

"Then you can spend a few minutes trying to reload"

You've never heard of the repeating crossbow? One was dated back to the 4th century B.C., and then there was one crossbow capable of firing 10 bolts in 15 seconds using a simple lever to pull back the drawstring.

"If they are running around in silk undies."

I know the crossbow can at least pierce leather... and I've heard they were good at piercing armor, too.
I yield, You obviously know more about the subject than me. For some reason I was in the mindset of Modern Guns, and obviously you were right about the accuracy of earlier guns. Sorry for sounding so agressive.

18Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 am

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Well if we decide to introduce an economy into PW, then when I create the store using Flash, I can easily insert guidelines for purchasing weapons and purchasing attachments to customize the weapon and adjust its fire-rate, accuracy, damage, portability, and recoil.

The weapons in a character's inventory can be accounted for using the Character Sheet provided by Forumotion, which allows for even more control on both the player's side and moderation's side. With quick access to a public character sheet, opposing players can simply click a link in the posting profile, underneath the avatar and quick-statistics, to make sure that the character they are facing as a legitimate weapon and can verify its specs.

19Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Rook

Slow down there, we havn't even decided on how the combat system will work so lets not get into firing rate and accuracy and all that other number related crap. But now that it comes to mind we should have a topic on the combat system by now, i'd make one but I got to go in a few.

20Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:31 pm

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Admin

Well the topic was concerning "guns".... So I bring up the aspects of guns.... >_>

21Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Rook

Yes but if we make wepons something to be bought then we have to put value and damage to the wepon meaning everyone will want, nay, need a gun so that they have a chance against other players. We need to discuss this a bit more but I have to go right now so maybe latter tonight.

22Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

If I were to make an dice roll, inventory system.
Its simply too complicated.
No-one wants a combat system, it'll just annoy everyone with its complicated-ness.

23Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:55 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

There are already plenty of DnD forums out there, that's not what the persistant world is about. The monetary system should be implemented, but we do NOT need to assign damage values to weapons.

Example: Say, you are choosing between a plastic butterknife and a iron longsword. The longsword costs more than the butterknife; that doesn't mean we have to say butterknives do 1 damage and longswords do 6 or whatever. The longsword takes up more resources to make, and is generally valued as higher than a plastic butterknife, thus it costs more.

Otherwise we end up assigning damage values to EVERYTHING, and adjusting the prices so a player can carry around a table chair that does as much as a greatsword, but weighs and costs less.

24Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Hex

Hex
Admin

Or logically we could say that a longsword is more powerful then a butter knife.
Logic wins. lol!

25Default Re: Guns in Persistent World Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:17 pm

The Hallowed Fate

The Hallowed Fate

Exactly, logic renders the whole reasoning behind the damage thing null. If you can use it to say that a longsword is stronger than a butterknife, then you can use it for other weapons as well. Plus, it lets players have a lot more freedom. No one wants to use Hp and Damage. Just stay logical, and it becomes possible to run the game without such a system. Since this PW will likely be much more moderated than the ones before it, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum